Summer Legal Intern
Company: UPC Insurance
Location: Saint Petersburg
Posted on: June 8, 2021
Summary: Performs administrative support services to help our
lawyers and paralegal staff with a variety of tasks. This position
requires a person with professional presentation and a bias for
action. The successful candidate will have excellent organizational
skills, advanced technical skills, and the ability to work well
with both internal counsel and important external partners.
Organizational Relationships: The UPC Summer Intern will be
working with Skyway Legal Services, the UPC litigation team, and
corporate legal. The UPC Summer Intern will report to the Managing
Attorney of Skyway Legal Services. This position has regular
contact with the SLS attorneys, external partners, as well as all
other company departments.
- Conduct legal research and writing, including preparation of
- Manage multiple system diaries.
- Help to compile documents for discovery responses.
- Prepare responses to Subpoenas and Orders.
- Assist in the preparation of deposition notebooks.
- Investigate new lawsuits and review claim file materials.
- Gather claim file materials for review.
- Assist with E-filing.
- Assist in the preparation of invoices, reports, memos, letters,
and other documents, using word processing, web forms, spreadsheet,
or presentation software.
- Assist with project coordination.
- Monitor legal and legislative developments applicable to
first-party property insurance matters.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Education and/or Experience:
- Must be currently enrolled into a 2-4 year accredited college
or university or be pursuing an upper-graduate degree.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should
demonstrate the following behaviors:
- Motivation/Initiative: Motivated and curious, willing to ask
questions, research issues and take on challenging
projects/assignments; creative, brings new ideas to the table,
exhibits self-confidence. Has strong achievement motivation and
- Administrative Skills: Possesses ability to organize and
follow-through on multiple tasks, recognizes and attends to
important details with accuracy and efficiency, effectively
prioritizes work of staff members. Works to complete goals, tasks
and plans, anticipates potential problems and analyzes alternative
- Interpersonal Style: (Interpersonal Skills, Communication,
Teamwork); develops/ maintains effective working relationships;
listens attentively to others; communicates ideas clearly (written
& verbal); relates to people in an open/ sincere manner;
participates effectively in meetings; assists in finding solutions
as well as identifying problems; communicates appropriately with
supervisor, managed staff and co-workers.
- Self-Management: (Adaptability/Flexibility, Stress Tolerance,
Autonomy); adapts readily to changes in routine; works effectively
in stressful situations; needs limited guidance and direction; is
comfortable working in a fast-paced environment; is reliable and
dependable; is results-oriented; maintains productivity and
composure under pressure; views problems as opportunities to create
- Thinking Skills: Diagnoses problems efficiently; gathers
sufficient input before making decision or plans; makes timely
decision, quickly determines sources of problem, identifies
information needed to solve problem and analyzes alternative
solutions, communicates issues and decisions effectively to
- Customer Orientation: Sensitive & responsive to internal and
external customer needs; demonstrates skills in customer services
and satisfaction; maintains a positive attitude, willing to listen
to customer problems and seeks solutions; stays in tune with
changing needs of customers.
- Ability to read, analyze, and understand a first-party property
- Ability to review case law, general business periodicals,
professional journals, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports or business correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite software
- Must be a self-starter and team player.
Physical Demands: Duties are performed primarily in an office
setting, with some light intra-city travel potentially required.
Operates computer and standard office equipment, such as telephone
and copier/printer. May require regular lifting of items up to 25
- Job descriptions will be reviewed and are subject to changes of
business necessity. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
Keywords: UPC Insurance, St. Petersburg , Summer Legal Intern, Other , Saint Petersburg, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!