Sol Systems is seeking a Utility Development Engineer who will
provide technical guidance during the origination, project
development, financial closing, and construction for utility scale
photovoltaic power plants across the United States. An excellent
opportunity for an individual with experience managing multiple
concurrent projects and resources from a technical perspective,
through design and engineering within a solar focused development
team or construction support. This is a multi-faceted role that
involves project-level technical diligence, project development
engineering, construction support, new technology analysis and risk
Sol Systems designs and delivers comprehensive procurement and
investment solutions for businesses, municipalities, and
institutional investors to achieve sustainability goals and
community impact. Sol Systems was founded in 2008 and has grown
into a national leading integrated platform that includes
infrastructure assets, commodity and financial services, customer
service and asset management. Sol has over a gigawatt of solar
projects with a national footprint and a diverse customer,
investor, and partner base.
- Perform technical due diligence in support of the origination
team and characterize project opportunities such that decision
making can be efficiently performed by commercial team leads.
- Develop and optimize conceptual layouts in accordance with land
characteristics, permitting constraints, and optimizing for energy
harvest, constructability and price efficiency, and long-term
- Perform energy modeling studies using tools such as PVsyst to
ensure production targets are reasonable for both near term and
- Conduct technology reviews for PV and energy storage equipment
and associated manufacturers for acceptability for use in long term
- Oversee design reviews of EPC drawings as Owner and ensure the
delivery of the PV system meets prudent industry standards and
commercial targets are aligned with the goals of the
- Maintain an organized and clearly documented set of project
specific technical deliverables.
- Interface with the projects' independent engineer to ensure
reports are accurately created and protect both the interests of
development and long-term ownership.
- Provide construction RFI support as the owner's engineer.
- Provide technical leadership in conjunction with the team to
support key stakeholders' interests.
- Conduct site visits and inspections prior to or in support of
- Source and manage external consultants and partners, including
developing Scope of Work documents, managing RFP process, and
controlling scope and schedule to obtain similar deliverables.
A successful candidate will possess the following skills
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering
- Curious and motivated to acquire a deep understanding of
renewable energy fundamentals
- 4+ years of experience in utility-scale PV system design and
- Familiarity with utility-scale PV construction practices
- Ability to view engineering and technical matters through a
- Able to travel approximately 10% of the time, as required by
project location and type
- Knowledgeable in identifying interconnection solutions,
constraints, and risks
- Able to provide technical due diligence and exercise
appropriate risk assessment based on varying project
characteristics and objectives
- Accustomed to engaging varying project stakeholders including
investors, EPC partners, developers, and O&M partners
- Strong understanding of energy modeling, solar resource
assessments and capability to advise internal and external
stakeholders to achieve agreeable and achievable targets
- Experienced in working with 3rd party Independent Engineering
- Able to identify cost or schedule drivers and project specific
attributes that can be optimized to protect both installed cost and
completion schedule targets
Location: This position is based in our
Washington, DC office.
Commitment & Compensation: Compensation will be
commensurate with experience. In addition, Sol Systems provides
health insurance, retirement benefits, partial gym reimbursement,
transportation benefits, education benefits, paid vacation and
federal holidays, plus the opportunity to work in an
Deadline: We hope to hire for this position
immediately and will review applicants on a rolling basis.
Sol Systems is an equal opportunity employer and does not
discriminate based on gender, race, ethnicity, orientation, creed,
or other trait. Sol Systems supports and encourages candidates of
all backgrounds to apply.